Friday, March 16, 2012

Ok, so America is great. But so is Togo.

I'm back in Togo.  Actually, I've been back from America for about 3 months now, but I've been super suuuuppeerrr busy!

America was awesome, as expected. But what was not expected was how my trip home would change the way I view my life here in Togo.  At the end of my two week trip, I was all sorts of ready to head back.  I know I previously wrote how things that frustrate me in Togo, but I realized that there are equally as many things that frustrate me in the States.  It's totally normal, and expected to have those feelings anywhere in the world you are.  The whole time I've been in Togo, I fantasized about being in America.  Once I was actually in America, I couldn't stop thinking about my life in Togo.  Now i'm back and happier than I have felt in a long time -- even after being back for over 3 months.

I will, however, take the time to appreciate...
Seeing my family and friends.  I've missed them tons.
Hanging out in DE with the boy and his family.
Driving in a car...not in a taxi stuffed with 10 more people than there are spots.
HOT showers and getting that layer of dirt off my body that I cannot seem to escape here.
Eating cake popsicle things (what are these?! these are amazing.)
Basically, just eating whatever I want, when I want. (I had 3 lunches one day. Oh and I gained back 6 of the 10 pounds I've lost since coming to Togo in two weeks. Oops.)

And I won't forget to tell you what I did miss...
Seeing the watchi lady every morning to get my fair share of rice, beans, and noodles in the morning.  I came back and found out she is pregnant!
Playing with the twins next door, seeing them grow up.
Sitting under a tree and just people watching for a while.
Riding my super sweet Trek bike around town.
Motorcycle taxis to Sokode.
Getting to be a part of amazing projects that I would never in a bajillion years get a chance to do in America.

I love Togo.  It just took a little reminder of the life I've lived before to see how special I have it here.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Chelsie,
    Hopping around on the Blogs today. It's good to hear you are doing well and loving life in Togo. That is one cute little kid making a point with all of us. I really enjoy your posts and keeping up. Take care,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete